Pure Quality.

Finding the right solution.

Questions you might have about your water

As water experts, our knowledgeable and helpful staff is looking to engage in a little water-cooler talk.

1. Why should I be concerned about Chlorine in my water?

The goal of adding chlorine to a water supply is to kill bacteria and other harmful organisms but, unfortunately, chlorine itself can lead to an undesirable taste and odor, along with damaging side effects in your body. The most noticeable effects of chlorine are its undesirable taste and odor. However, for those with allergies and sensitivity, chlorine can cause a variety of adverse reactions. After showering, you may notice your skin being itchy or dry. You could also be inhaling chlorine through steam –causing nasal and respiratory irritation. Though chlorine is vital for stopping the spread of disease, its benefits come at a price unless the chlorine is removed. At Clean Water Services we remove chlorine from all of our bottled water, and also install filters in homes and businesses for chlorine removal.

2. I've heard that it's good to drink high alkaline water (water with a high pH). Is this true?

This is NOT true. Water with a high pH is not better for you, and it may, in fact, be worse for you. Alkaline water promoters have made many claims against the drinking of reverse osmosis (RO) water, because they say its pH is too low. They believe that drinking RO water is actually harmful because it can be slightly acidic. The truth is, the unique properties of mineral free, ultra-pure drinking water actually makes the pH measurement meaningless in the body. The pH of RO water is nearly neutral, and adjusts quickly to your body rather than your body adjusting to the water. Your stomach acid is about 100,000 times more acidic than any slightly acidic RO water with which it combines. When you drink alkaline water, your stomach actually has to work harder to produce more acid, to compensate. A healthy gut is supposed to be acidic in order to properly break down food, and adding alkaline water to your diet only interferes with digestion. The truth is, water is not the answer to balancing your pH, minerals and vitamins are. The food we eat plays a much more important role when it comes to pH. However, drinking plenty of pure hydrating water will enable your body to remove toxins and acid metabolic wastes more easily.

3. How much water should I drink each day?

Many people use the rule of "8 by 8" which means you should drink (8) 8oz. glasses of water per day. Although this isn't supported by scientific evidence, it is a good rule to go by. We would recommend AT LEAST 64oz per day, which is a half gallon (8 x 8oz glasses). Water replacement is vital to blood heart and kidney function. Water also flushes toxins and re-hydrates your brain. Aside from vital health elements, water will also help you look and feel younger by hydrating your skin and helping you maintain your weight.

4. Is fluoride a good thing to have added to my water?

Although fluoride does provide a benefit for children in giving them healthier teeth, it should only be used in the mouth and then spit out, rather than being swallowed and ingested. Having fluoridated drinking water does not have much benefit, because the water does not stay on the teeth for long, and then is swallowed, creating potential health problems through ingestion. At Clean Water Services, we remove fluoride from all the bottled water we sell. We also have filter applications for home and business that can remove fluoride.

5. Is it safe to drink or store water in a plastic container that has BPA (Bisphenol A)?

There are mixed opinions and some myths on this topic, but test results indicate that BPA in water bottles used for drinking and storage is NOT leached into the water, so long as the water is at a temperature below boiling. Studies show that an adult would have to drink approximately 1,000 liters (or 264 gallons) of water from polycarbonate water cooler bottles every day to approach the science-based safe intake limit for BPA. Furthermore, we have had our bottled water tested for BPA and results showed none detected for water that was left in bottles for 2 months. Tests have also shown none detected for as long as 10 years!

6. Will drinking water softened by ion exchange deprive me of minerals necessary to good health?

No. The human body gains the minerals necessary to good health primarily through eating foods, not through drinking water.You would have to drink many gallons of water, daily, in order to see any benefit from its minerals. In contrast, one glass of milk provides the mineral equivalent of multiple gallons of ordinary well water.

7. Should softened water be used for watering house plants or for sprinkling the garden or lawn?

Most house plants require specific soil conditions for healthy growth. Many thrive best in slightly acid soils. Distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water are better choices for watering plants to prevent mineral accumulation in the soil. For outside sprinkling purposes the use of softened water is, first and foremost, wasteful.

8. Is the waste water that is discharged by my water softener harmful to my septic tank?

Water softener discharge water is not harmful to your septic tank or drain field. In fact, studies have shown that this water could improve soil percolation particularly in fine-textured soils. Studies clearly indicate that when the sodium content from the softener regeneration cycle is discharged into the soil via a septic system along with other salts such as calcium, magnesium, and iron the result is an improvement in the soil's percolation rather than a detriment. Additionally, the use of a water softener helps a septic system because of the minerals it removes from the product water in the softening process. This is due to the fact that homeowners will statistically use 50% to 75% less soap.

9. Is the sodium in softened water harmful to people whose doctors have placed them on restrictive salt diets?

This will vary from person to person depending on the specifics of their medical condition. Most water, even when softened, will be "very low sodium" or "low sodium" as defined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. If the patient has been placed on a diet below 1,500mg of total sodium intake per day, he/she should drink neither hard nor softened water. Under these conditions, the patient should drink distilled water or water treated by reverse osmosis. Such patients are commonly hospitalized.

10. How is softened water better for my appliances?

Studies have shown that water softeners can extend the life of your appliances. This, of course, translates to spending less money on laundry and dish detergent, as well as extending the life of the appliance itself. The report found that softeners even help preserve the efficiency of water heaters. The study was commissioned by the Water Quality Research Foundation (WQRF) in 2009 and conducted by the Battelle Memorial Institute, a renowned independent testing and research facility dedicated to applied science and technology development.

Sources: 
www.wqa.org
www.kinetico.com
www.watertechonline.com
www.bisphenol-a.org